- 4 – 5 lb. turkey breast, backbone removed
- 1/2 cup sage leaves, minced
- 1 stick butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 cups spiced apple cider
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup spiced apple cider or chicken stock.
- Place the turkey breast, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a food processor, combine the butter, sage, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Process to make a paste. Gently separate the skin from the meat with your fingers being careful not to tear the skin. Spread half of the paste under the skin and directly on the meat. Spread the remaining paste evenly on the skin. Cover and let refrigerate overnight to marinade.
- In a saucepan combine, 2 cups spiced apple cider with honey and sugar. Bring to a boil and let reduce until the bubble is large and is reduced by half. When it cools it will become a syrup.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pour 1 cup spiced apple cider into the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast the turkey for 30 to 45 minutes. Baste turkey breast with apple cider glaze. Roast another 30 – 45 minutes, turning half-way and basting again with glaze and dripping, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted into the thickest and meatiest areas of the breast, about 1.5 total. If the skin is over-browning, tent with aluminum foil. When the turkey is done, transfer to a platter and cover with foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for 15 – 20 minutes.
- While the turkey is resting strain the drippings into a drippings separator. a saucepan over medium heat. Carefully pour out the excess grease into a saucepan. Add flour and whisk together. Return to the burner and whisk in vinegar and milk, add apple cider or chicken stock, bringing to a simmer with each addition, until you reach desired consistency
- Slice turkey breast and serve with gravy.