For the Apples:
- 4 to 5 tart apples Granny Smith or Pink Lady
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Wondra flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup cinnamon
For the Dip:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces Cool Whip or 1 cup whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar- whipped until stiff
- 1 cup caramel sauce store bought or homemade (see above)
- In a fry pan, or deep fryer heat vegetable oil for frying. Mix together the buttermilk and sugar in a medium size bowl. Peel and slice apples and add them to the buttermilk mixture as you go to prevent browning.
- Spread wondra flour evenly in a shallow dish. Pull the apples out of the buttermilk mix, one at a time and lightly coat all sides in the flour.
- When oil is nice and hot, gently place coated apples into the oil so they are not touching, when the bottom side begins to turn golden brown, flip them over and brown the second side.
- Quickly remove to a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess grease and cool. Sprinkle immediately with cinnamon and sugar while they are hot.
For the dip:
- Mix together the cream cheese and cool whip until completely blended then stir in the caramel sauce. Place into a bowl for dipping and drizzle a little extra caramel sauce over the top.